Legendary weapons are a set of high-end weapons that have unique appearances. They have the same stats as ascended weapons, but stat combo and sigils are not locked and can be freely changed when out of combat. Legendary weapons are crafted in the Mystic Forge using a precursor weapon and the Gift of the Legendary Weapon associated with the desired end result, plus two other Gifts of Fortune and Mastery shared by other weapons of the same generation. Weapons of the first generation, released at the launch of Guild Wars 2, use Gift of Fortune and Gift of Mastery in their recipes, and second generation weapons, released during updates following Heart of Thorns, use Mystic Tribute and Gift of Maguuma Mastery, or Gift of Desert Mastery.
Legendary Runes are upgrade components that, once socketed, have the power to take on the properties of any other superior rune.
Legendary weapons require a large variety of different materials and other items to craft, both tradeable and account bound. Specific components depend on the generation of the weapon as well as on the weapon itself.
- Footprints of a legendary equipped in the main hand will override any footprints of a legendary equipped in the offhand.
- “Footprints” can also be generated by a headbutt on the underside of ledges when affected by Cosmic Energy
- There will be no underwater weapons in the second generation legendaries.
- Based on a book found in the Mythwright Gambit raid, it is possible that Zommoros is the designer of legendary weapons which are received from the Mystic Forge, including lore-tied ones such as the Claw of the Khan-Ur.
- Legendary weapons cannot be salvaged nor sold to vendors.
- Legendary weapons could not swap infusions nor sigils until October 30th, 2018.
- Removing the sigil of the legendary weapon will make it un-listable on the Trading Post.
- Deleting a legendary weapon will unlock its skin.
Hot New Legendary Weapons is an article by ArenaNet describing their approach with Gen 2 legendary weapons.